ScalaMock 2.2

I’ve just released ScalaMock 2.2, with the following improvements over 2.1:

• Add support for repeated parameters (varargs)
  • Basic parameterised class support

ScalaMock is a native Scala mocking framework which, as well as traits (interfaces) and functions, can also mock:

• Classes
  • Singleton and companion objects (static methods)
  • Object creation (constructor invocation)
  • Polymorphic (type parameterised) methods
  • Classes with private constructors
  • Final classes and classes with final methods
  • Operators (methods with symbolic names)
  • Overloaded methods

7 Responses to “ScalaMock 2.2”

1. 1 Paul January 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Hi Paul,
    I am just trying your mocking library for the first time. I hit a couple of compile errors

The generated mock methods for methods ending in ? and + don’t compile. The generated method name needs a space before the :

For example the following is generated (and does not compile)

def post_?: Boolean = …

but this would work

def post_? : Boolean = …

The other problem is where the class extends a trait with a lazy val, which gives “method X needs to be a stable, immutable value”.

Not sure what you can do about that one. Keep up the good work!

• 2 paul January 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Paul.

The issue with question-marks should be easy for me to fix.

Embarrassingly, I haven’t tested lazy vals – I’ll investigate and see if I can work out what’s up.

Can you do me a favour and create issues in GitHub for both of these? Thanks!

2. 3 Emil February 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Paul!

Like Paul I just started looking at ScalaMock and it looks nifty! I have however discovered an issue I think.

When mocking an object like:
    object Foo {
    def foo(s:String)(t:String):List[String] = List(s,t)
    }

The generated mock does not compile:
    object Foo extends Mock$$Foo {

def foo(s: String): (t: String)List[String] = if (forwardTo$Mocks != null) forwarder$0(s) else mock$0(s)
    // other generated methods here
    }

As you can see the generated mock does not implement the correct method signature. After the first parameter list it inserts “:” expecting a return type.

Should I create an issue on GitHub for this?

• 4 paul February 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Oops – thanks for letting me know. Shame on me for letting that slip through my testing!

Yes, please do create a bug and I’ll get to it as soon as I can.

3. 5 Ryan February 3, 2012 at 4:38 am

Hey Paul,

Any chance the “method needs to be a stable, immutable value” is resolved? I’m still getting the error. I’ve used the following in my SBT however:

libraryDependencies += “org.scalamock” %% “scalamock-scalatest-support” % “latest.integration”,

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

4. 6 Ryan February 3, 2012 at 5:16 am

Hey Paul,

Just a little extra information regarding the post above. I noticed the original comment about the immutable method error was associated with lazy vals. I seem to be getting this when using a trait that has vals (not necessarily declared as lazy either). The mock object tries to override the val as a def.

Also, if you’d prefer me to post questions / issues in another forum, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ryan

5. 7 paul February 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Ryan,

The best forum is probably the scalatest mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/scalatest-users

There’s an open ticket about the problem with vals here:

As you can see from that bug, it turns out to be a more fundamental problem than it first appeared to be. I believe that I have worked out the structure of a solution, but I don’t have an implementation of it yet.