An Open Letter to The Gregory James Group

Dear employees of The Gregory James Group,

Please forgive this indirect and public means of communicating with you, but it appears that all other means of doing so are ineffective.

I have repeatedly asked for you to remove me from your contact database and stop sending me unsolicited e-mails or making unsolicited telephone calls. I would prefer not to expose your flagrant contempt for others’ time publicly, but this is a final throw of the dice in an attempt to get you to stop spamming me.

Below is a representative sample of the e-mails I’ve sent you over the years (yes, years). Sadly, I don’t have transcripts of the telephone conversations, but they are similar in nature and number to the e-mails.

From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: Graduate Android Developer (MSc. Software Engineering) – Available Immediately
Date: 10 September 2013 12:23:13 BST
To: “Charley Lucas” <charley.l@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
Charley,

See below a selection of e-mails that I’ve sent to various members of your company over the last several years. What, exactly, does it take to get off your e-mail list?
From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: Senior C# ASP.NET MVC3 Programmer
Date: 13 August 2013 17:33:55 BST
To: “Roxanne Gordon” <roxanne.g@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
Cc: Tom Townsend <Tom.T@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
Roxanne,
I have no idea why you think I may be looking for a developer of this type. I most certainly am not, and it’s completely inappropriate for the kind of things that we do here.
I recently had a long exchange with your colleague Tom Townsend (copied) to try to stop him from spamming me with unwanted and inappropriate e-mails. I finally managed to persuade him to stop doing so and remove me from your company’s mailing list. I don’t know how I have ended back on it, but please remove me immediately and do whatever you need to do to ensure that I never find my way onto it again.
I don’t know what it is about Gregory James that makes you think that it’s OK to waste people’s time, but I really wish you would stop.
From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: Mobile Application Development
Date: 28 January 2013 10:02:23 GMT
To: “Tom Townsend” <Tom.t@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
Tom,

I fail to understand how my earlier request that you please not mail me again was open to misinterpretation. I would be grateful if you could accede to my very clearly expressed wishes.
From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: iOS Development
Date: 15 January 2013 15:41:08 GMT
To: “Tom Townsend” <Tom.T@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
No. Please do not mail me again
From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: iOS Development
Date: 15 January 2013 15:37:03 GMT
To: “Tom Townsend” <Tom.T@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
Please remove me from your mailing list.
From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: Ruby on Rails Contract London £350 – £450 Per Day D.O.E
Date: 21 January 2011 11:47:06 GMT
To: “Christopher Barlow” <Chris.b@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
Christopher,

I have no idea how I got onto your mailing list. Please remove me from it immediately and confirm that you have done so by return.

From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Inconsiderate use of e-mail
Date: 1 October 2010 14:12:00 BST
Cc: David Christian <David.C@GregoryJamesGroup.com>
All,

Please forgive the wide distribution of this e-mail, but unfortunately your colleague David Christian apparently does not believe in treating people with respect, so I am left with no option.

Somehow, I have ended up on David’s indiscriminate database of people who might be interested in web development contract work. I am not interested in this kind of work, have never asked to be on his database and have no clue who he, or you, are. I have asked him nicely to remove me from his database and he hasn’t had the courtesy to respond or to honour my polite request. I am sure that I don’t need to tell you how this kind of behaviour reflects on your organisation as a whole.

As it happens, I am a software development manager who regularly makes hires through recruitment consultants. This experience guarantees that I will be doing no business with The Gregory James Group.

I would be grateful if you could persuade David not to send me any further unsolicited messages.

From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: Contract RoR/PhP Work Remotely
Date: 30 September 2010 13:25:03 BST
To: David Christian <david.c@gregoryjamesgroup.com>
I am not looking for work, and have never asked to be on your database. Please remove me from your database, send me an e-mail confirming that have done so, and then send me no further communications.

1 Response to “An Open Letter to The Gregory James Group”

1. 1 Joe Osborne January 23, 2014 at 10:24 am

Had (and still having) the same trouble with Senitor. Very frustrating.